Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The longest journey begins with one step...

If you told me that you wanted to travel to to a country I never heard of, I would not only research the land which you choose to visit, but I'd find you the best way to travel there, hotels options, top rated restaurants, and every activity known to mankind that you can partake in.  If you told me that you wanted to become a Doctor after years of being a cashier, I'd pour my energy into finding out the right courses you would need to take at the most affordable Universities available, and if you couldn't afford it, I would research financial aid.  If it was 20 degrees outside and snowing (which it happens to be), and I was cozy and warm on my couch, but you were in the mood for ice cream...I would put my snow boots on and get you some.

BUT...

If I want to travel, I google a page here and there, and then realize that figuring out connecting flights is too time consuming, so why not dial up a travel agent.  If I ever wanted to become a Doctor, I'd no sooner reach for a stethoscope on October 31st and be content with playing one on Halloween.  If "brrrrr" has become part of my vocabulary while sitting on the couch craving ice cream, I simply trade the r's for some z's...and go to bed...hungry.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that in the past, I never really felt I was worth taking that extra step for.  I've become a master at seeing the good in others, their talents, their skills, their capabilities.  I pretty much stop at nothing for those I care for, and believe in them wholeheartedly.  But here's the thing, I wouldn't change that for anything (or anyone).  I will always be a cheerleader for my family and close friends, and will support and encourage them beyond easy means.  But today, the change I make is more like an addition, today I just add one more person to that collection, me.

This blog is the start of going that extra step, you know, the step they say you need to take in order to start that journey...

5 comments:

  1. Love the blog Shelby! I to do the same. I can't wait to follow you in your journey! Im very excited for you, and very glad that u decided to start blogging! :) - Arnold A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love u beautiful person! “One Joy scatters a hundred griefs.” – A Chinese Proverb
    Our time now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the words of one great author....Happiness is an inside job...the joy of living comes form the Full glass of life..... Photography is what i see inside my world to come out in this world..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you find your journey to be one of wonderful surprises!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And on this journey remember...if there are only one set of footprints you are being carried.

    ReplyDelete